Monday, January 14, 2008

Thing #11 LibraryThing!

I find myself catching up on several blogs today that I started last week, including LibraryThing.

I found the website itself to be VERY user friend.  I am not sure I have ever joined something with so few questions and found it to be very refreshing given the amount of sites we have had to join during this assignment.  The ease with which you can search for books and add books to your "library" was wonderful.  They definitely have made this a simple, user friendly site.

While I am not sure I would take the time to catalog my entire personal library, I can see where some would enjoy this feature.  I could see it being used as a tool to share recent books that you have read and your thoughts on each title with friends and colleagues.  I do not see myself searching this site and finding generic reviews for titles, but if I had a group of friends that joined and we created our own personal "group", I can see this being a fun site to use.

I have two friends at work that are avid readers (more so than I am sad to say) and they discuss recent titles often so I look forward to sharing this site with them. 

I must also add that I was very nervous about what I wrote on my "reviews" at first and kept my site private.  I realized I couldn't keep it private if I wanted to invite certain friends to view my personal library.  My low self esteem with regards to my reading habits made me nervous.  I was afraid people would judge me and I didn't want to embarass myself or my profession.  I am not one that can recall every detail of a book long after I have read it.  I usually only remember my feelings while reading it and did I like it or not.  For this reason, I am not sure I would be able to give good reviews for the general public to see, but wouldn't mind sharing it with close and personal friends.  Now that I have said all of that here is the link to my site for all to look at!

No comments: