Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thing #13 Social Bookmarking with Del.icio.us

At first I was skeptical of the idea of social bookmarking and couldn't understand why I couldn't use my "Favorites" on my computer. After viewing the Del.icio.us podcast tutorial I can see the benefits and potential for such a program. The idea of being able to access my list from any computer is exciting. No longer will I have to drag the same computer to and from school.

The tutorial was very clear in use and purpose and made me think I could use this in my everyday life. I will say that initially I found the installation a breeze but did run into a small glitch and had to seek the advice of a fellow librarian and Debbie. While the installation of the program was simple, the icons on my tool bar did not work quite as easily. Eventually I was able to add them, but don't ask me how because I just kept pressing and dragging things and it finally worked!

Once installed, it was very easy to use. So many times you are searching the Internet for one thing and run across something unrelated but just as interesting. This allows you to EASILY save that website or article for future use without having to read or print it out at that exact moment. I also liked the idea of sharing your findings with others. This would come in handy especially when collaborating with classroom teachers.

I shared this program as well as Google Reader with a 5th grade teacher this morning and she seemed very intrigued. I will follow up by passing along the website and tutorial to her as well as a few others I feel would benefit and not be completely freaked out by the idea of yet another computer program. I look forward to sharing much of what I have learned with my faculty and hope that at least some will also discover that there are programs and websites out there that will enhance thier lives if they just take a little bit of time to learn. I will have to start small!

No comments: