Monday, January 21, 2008

Thing #15 Wikis

I must admit I have waited  to work on this assignment until the very end because of my fear of the unknown.  After watching  yet another very informative video "in Plain English" as well as many others, I have a very clear understanding of what wikis are and how they work.  

While I am not sure how many applications there are for my Elementary Library at this time, I do see the possibilities for professionals (both teachers and Librarians) to be endless.  I would love to see the Mesquite Librarian wiki continue to thrive as well as a Mesquite Teacher wiki to be created.  Teachers are so limited in time right now, but the need to share and receive great ideas is always important.  If a wiki could be created with both grade level and content areas in mind, I think teachers and students would benefit.  While some ideas are shared via the CSI curriculum, it appears to be limited to just a few authors.  We have a wealth of Master teachers in Mesquite and we need to open up a forum for these terrific teachers to share their knowledge with everyone.  This is an exciting thought that I would love to see the subject coordinators explore.  I would love to see a uniform template used instead of each coordinator creating their own to make it more uniform and user friendly.  If it is not easily accessible and easy to use, it will not be used!

I found the list of suggested wikis to be informative and added a few to my del.icio.us site so that I may explore them more in the future when I have time.  I explored the Mesquite ISD Library Policies and Procedures wiki and at first was confused how this format would be beneficial (rather than a strict document format), but after further review I found instances where a wiki format would be very helpful.  The opportunity to share ideas for Bluebonnet voting, Mockingbird ideas, Children's Book Week, etc. is great.  This is a better format than email and the manner in which it is saved is more effective than saving  or printing every email.

I guess I shouldn't be afraid of the unknown, it wasn't so bad after all!

1 comment:

Anna said...

I like your idea of using the wiki for CSI sharing among teachers. At lunch, I hear teachers talking about different ways to teach certain things and this would create an ideal way to share across the district. I also agree that there should be some continuity among subjects regarding the looks of the wiki. I also like your idea about sharingBluebonnet and Mockingbird book ideas. I'll have to think on that one some more.