Monday, January 14, 2008

Thing #12 Social Networking

While I am enjoying this process and do appreciate its value, my brain is often overloaded and my stress level is climbing with each new assignment.  I think that when I have completed everything there are certain parts of this assignment that I will definitely carry with me in both my professional and personal life and some things that I will never use again.  Don't get me wrong, I DO see the value of this assignment so that we can be leaders in technology in our campus and in our district.

Having said all of that... the whole idea of social networking makes me a bit uneasy.  While I have asked my friends and friend's children to be my "friends" on myspace, it frightens me to think of all the children who are left unattended on the web.  Fortunately every "student" I asked had no qualms about allowing me to be their friend which means they probably have nothing to hide.  

However, after looking at pictures and profiles of others on myspace, I am truly amazed at what people will put out there for the world to view.  I guess I am a prude in this area, but I am utterly amazed at what young kids think is appropriate for others to think and see about them. I think it has created an environment where kids can "hide" behind a computer screen and not think about the consequences of their words and photos.  I had a friend whose nephew passed away last semester and when I looked at his myspace account, it left me thinking... is that the lasting legacy he or his family wanted to leave.  No one knew his password so that IS the last impression the world will have of him and I don't think it is completely accurate.

I will probably keep my myspace account open if for no other reason to keep an eye out for these kids that I care about, but will probably not update or use it very often.  I do not have any one in my family that uses it so I am not sure I would use it to communicate with them.  I have a fairly small family so we keep up with one another easily by phone and email at the moment. I do see how so many can become addicted to myspace and I can fully understand how kids enjoy their time, but if they are not watched I think it could become a very dangerous place.   

Now on to Ning...  I think this would be a place more to my liking.  I joined the Mesquite Library and Friends page.  My initial thought is that this is an easy place where we can all get on and discuss current issues and questions.  While we do email one another it is often difficult to keep up with answers to questions and discussion following a question.  The format of Ning makes it easy to see how others responded to a question and to watch the development of their conversation.  I can see this becoming something we would use in our district.  The format was easy and not as many distractions as myspace (background, pictures, music, etc.).  Maybe I am becoming "old" beyond my years, but this seems to be more my speed.

I feel Social Networking sites are something that we all need to be aware of in order to protect our students and loved ones.  I have been curious about myspace and how it works and I am sad to say that my fears were only confirmed - unless children have someone watching out for them this has the potential to be a very dangerous place (bullying, inappropriate pictures, sexual predators, etc.).  I would encourage my friends to keep an eye on their children, because with the appropriate supervision this can be a fun place for kids (and adults) to "play".

I'll get off my soap box now!  

No comments: