Thursday, January 10, 2008

Thing #7

I thought I would need several days to reflect on Google Reader and a few of the blogs I subscribed to, but I can already tell you I AM HOOKED!  I will try to organize my thoughts and answer the prescribed questions and keep this to the point.

I chose to work with Google Calendar and Google Alerts.  While Google Calendar was very easy to use I do not see the purpose of it for someone in my position.  Like so many others have mentioned, I prefer to use a handwritten calendar for my personal matters (that Shutterfly calendar from my niece and nephew each Christmas is just too cute) and an Excel document for my library calendar (that sounds so old).  If I had to share my calendar with others I can see the benefits of such a tool, but for someone like me I just can't see myself taking the time to add events and update a calendar such as this.  I also had difficulty sharing it with others in my family as they do not have google accounts.  So for the time being, I'll stick to my Shutterfly calendar and Excel spreadsheet.

Now to Google Alerts...  WOW!  I am surprised to find how fun and easy it was to check all the blogs and newsreaders that I had signed up for last night.  The ease with which you can access all of your blogs and keep them organized is wonderful.  It is truly your one stop shopping location.  I do think this would be an excellent tool for those in education who like to keep up with current trends, current publications, authors, etc.  I think items sent to one's email can too easily be deleted without being read.  It is far more convenient to go out and check all of your sites at your own convenience.


No comments: