Friday, January 18, 2008

Thing #23 Creative Commons

While I understand the concept of creative commons, I was completely lost on the website to find the items that did contain the creative commons "license" (if that is the right word).  I watched several of the videos provided on their site as well as our assignment page and found them all to be very helpful.  One diagram made it very clear that Creative Commons is simply the middle ground between full copyright and public domain.  Another video clip said it was time to "refine the rules of copyright" which I completely agree with in the age of the internet.

The idea of copyright is something that we must continue to explain to students at a very early age.  While the idea that you can use someone else's work or ideas is very basic at the Elementary level, it must still be addressed.  As others have stated in their blogs, I would love to show the "Disney" video that explains copyright to my teachers.  The Disney clips themselves might keep the teachers interested while the very important idea of copyright is addressed.  I think we are all a bit guilty of using the "fair use" or "for educational purposes" argument because we simply do not understand the laws.  It is a very gray area and we must do our best to work our way through it and not ignore it.

As I stated, the website itself did a great job of explaining creative commons, but I would love a tutorial on where to find things that one could use with creative commons.  I would like to see a sample video clip as well as the disclaimer as to what portion one may use and how they may use it.

It could be that I am getting tired after an entire work day of "play" and it was right in front of my face, but I must continue to explore the site to see what items could be used with my students and teachers.

1 comment:

Junior Master Margaret said...

Hey girl, I finally got mine to work. I didn't have to click back to compose. I just left it on HTML. Check out what I added...hehehe...you do Wicked and I do Les Mis:)
I couldn't get that animotosoto:) to work. It took forever to get one pic on it. Must be doing something wrong or else it's my home computer.
You're doing a great job...congrats!